Sunday, May 01, 2005

Strange Childhood Memories

I guess the prospect of having a child of my own has got me thinking about my own childhood. Today my husband and I were remembering the scary health and safety films they showed us in elementary school. He remembered one about the adverse affects of sugar and preservatives. My most vivid memory of this type of thing is watching school bus safety videos in first grade. They would assemble the whole school, first through sixth grades, in the gym and show us these horrifying films in the dark. The only part I really remember about them is the close-ups of some poor 8-year-old's face while he was run over by the school bus--blood streaming from his mouth!

Now, I ask you...what were educators thinking? What a horrible thing to show a kid! I think they stopped showing those soon after the end of the 70s which is when I saw it, thank goodness. At least some things have become a bit kinder and gentler!

It's just strange to think back on weird things that stuck with you from your early days and realize that soon I'll be in on a whole new person's early days. I wonder what weird memories I'll be a part of giving my kid? Agh. I hope I don't screw him/her up too much. At least I don't think he/she will have to watch those school bus safety videos!

No comments: