Wednesday, October 12, 2005

How do you spell insanity? C-O-L-I-C

According to "What to Expect in the First Year" a textbook case of colic includes:

Baby's fists are clenched and she is very active.
Check.
She closes her eyes tight or opens them very wide and screams.
Check.
She frantically searches for a nipple, only to reject it forcefully when it is offered.
Check.
She drifts to sleep only to awaken suddenly five minutes later screaming.
Check.

HUGE SIGH.

Monday night and all day Tuesday Betsy showed us a textbook case of colic. I have never been so tired in my entire life. My whole body hurt, I felt sick to my stomach, and I wanted to cry, but just didn't have the energy to put into it. I know Myron was feeling the same. We actually got in the car and got lunch at the Arby's drive-thru just so we could drive her around and get her to sleep for a few minutes, which is the only thing that worked. She probably slept a total of 2 hours the whole day, which is very, very little for a baby! She also wanted to eat every half hour or so, but would then freak out after only eating a little.

Last night at about 10:30 Myron and I stood in the dark in her nursery while he rocked her and I stroked her head and we laid hands on her and prayed...HARD! And you know what...that was the turning point. Soon she was asleep and she didn't wake up again until 4:00 or so! We need to remember to pray!!

So it seems that she might have just been having a rough couple of days because she's been sleeping soundly for about an hour now and is MUCH more peaceful today. Thank you, Lord!!

2 comments:

Karen said...

I'm so sorry Betsy has been feeling bad! That has to be so tiring and frustrating. I wish I could be there to help! I'll be praying though.
I love you...Mama

patti said...

Wow. I really feel for you. I hope she just had indigestion. Riley had colic that lasted from 8PM-3 AM every night. The good news - colic usually stops at week 12!