Thursday, January 12, 2006

Dumb Guy Made Me Cry

So I was taking a walk today with Betsy and Gideon at the park near our house. Lots of people let their dogs off leash in this park to get some free running time. I was standing there talking to a friend of mine whose dog was also off leash when a family with two small children and a Boxer, also off-leash, came into the park. Since their dog wasn't on leash either I supposed that they were comfortable with that and I didn't worry too much about Gideon going to say hello. Most people who bring their dogs there and let them off leash do it so they can play with other dogs.

Well, I guess I should have clued in when they kept picking their kids up every time Gideon would come anywhere near them that they weren't "most people." I finally pushed Betsy in the stroller over to them to call Gideon, a friendly smile on my face. I called, "Don't worry, he's just curious, he wouldn't hurt anyone." Well, that's when the Dad decided to let me have it. "Doesn't your dog respond to commands?!" He yelled at me. I again reassured him that he was very gentle, but he said, "It doesn't matter! I don't know your dog!" "Well, I don't know yours and it is off-leash and I have my child here too." I responded calmly. "Do you see my dog near your child?" he yelled back. So I of course called Gideon, leashed him and left. And went home and cried. Normally I probably would have just felt mad for awhile and not cried, but I was already feeling a bit overwhelmed by life today so that was the last straw.

Now how was I supposed to know when they come into the park with an unleashed dog that they are afraid of other unleashed dogs? If they would have asked me to keep him away the first time he came to greet them then I would have leashed him immediately. Instead they wait until I come over to them and then yell at me! And if you're going to a park where there are off-leash dogs...and you're going to have yours off-leash as well...then you should be prepared for dogs you don't know to come and check you and your kids out. It is what dogs do.

There...that's my rant for the day. I just really didn't need to be yelled at today! Ugh! Boo-hoo! Dumb guy!

3 comments:

Karen said...

I'm sorry that happened, Molly. Sometimes people can be so harsh...they don't think how they make the other person feel. Have you been having a rough week? I wish I were there to give you a lift!

Love...Mama

Heather said...

How ABRUPT!! You know, some people are just so abrasive, you know? He probably felt awful after you left. People like that are just miserable inside and mean-spirited. Too bad it had to overflow onto you :(- sorry this is Heather who loves karen's blog :) love your baby pics!!

Anil P said...

I wonder if Gideon knows how they felt, he just might, and having seen how he looks he's one coll guy, someone who wouldn't bother too much with rude people. And that's good enough for everyone else too.