Saturday, January 14, 2006

A World At War

OK. I know that some of you are going to think I'm crazy after you read this post, but that's all right with me. I think it is a story I must tell.

For the past couple weeks Betsy has been going to sleep at night without a fight, which has been a new thing for her. For a long time it would take forever to finally get her settled. We followed the routine of a bath and a final meal last night, the routine that has been working wonders, and yet about 5 minutes after she seemed to be settled for the night she was crying again. This just happened to be the night before I had to get up early to go to a Bible study for the first time. We are studying the book Captivating which I have read once already. It has already really impacted me and I wanted to dig deeper into it with some other women. It is something I really need right now.

So Myron went in and rocked Betsy and got her back to sleep for me since I had to get up so early (what a dear man he is!). The whole time I could hear her fussing and fighting sleep and I began to pray. I felt that this wasn't a coincidence. That Someone wanted to give me a reason to miss my Bible Study (and that Someone wasn't God!). I prayed that the Enemy wouldn't be allowed to use my daughter to keep me from growing in my relationship with God. Now I know this may sound weird, but I really strongly felt that we had to ask God to do some battle for us. After about a half hour, Betsy went to sleep and slept through the night. We actually had to wake her up so I could feed her before I left.

The cool thing was that before I said anything about praying last night Myron told me that he had felt like there was some spiritual warfare going on last night and that when he started praying aloud for Betsy she calmed down and finally slept! We didn't even know that we were both feeling the same thing and both praying at the same time!

I told the gals about this at our study this morning and during the opening prayer one of them prayed special protection from evil for Betsy.

In this day and age it is so easy to dismiss things as coincidence and to forget that there are forces at work that we cannot see, both good and evil. This experience once again reminded me that I need to be a diligent prayer warrior for my little girl--and for all those I love.

We live in a world at war, but we do battle under the banner of the one true King. At His side we cannot fail.

2 comments:

Karen said...

Molly...I think sometimes we all forget that spiritual battle and need a reminder! I needed to be reminded to pray for Betsy daily too. Thanks for sharing your experience. I love you and am very proud of the godly woman you've become.

Mama

Heather said...

Wow, sooo true. Great reminder to pray for protection from the evil one...especially concerning the innocence of our children. Praise the Lord for His Grace and swift action in this!!