Saturday, July 09, 2005

Two Days, Two Beaches, Lots of Fun!

We took full advantage of the warm summer sun these past two days and hit the beach! Friday we headed down to Michigan City, Indiana to visit with our sister-in-law Donna and her kids David and Katie who are here from Seattle. We only get to see them about twice a year so it was a real treat! Donna is staying with her sweet mom and stepdad who live in Michigan City and they graciously invited us to come spend the day. We spent a couple lovely hours at the beach with them and Donna's sister Nancy and her kids Amy, Ryan and Kelsey. We had a great time playing in the sand, dashing in and out of the FREEZING water, and getting caught up while we sat on the beach and chatted. Then we were treated to a delicious spread of great summer foods for supper. We didn't get home until about 11:30, but it was well worth the trip!

Today we headed up north to the Muskegon Dog Beach with my brother Joel and his wife Wendy and their pup Stokely plus their friends (who have now become ours as well because they are just so great!) JR and Tricia Miller and their cutie kids Hailey and Ethan. The water was once again FREEZING, but the sun was hot so it balanced out for the most part. Gideon surprised us by playing catch with the football and frisbee over and over. He has never retrieved anything that many times in his whole life! He definitely likes to swim! His problem, though, is that he doesn't really like Myron or I, or any other person, for that matter, to be in the water. I think he figures since we only have two legs that we're bound to drown if he doesn't keep a constant watch over us. So while he's swimming with you in the water he's also whining constantly and never letting you out of his site. He's going to be good when we have kids...he'll help us watch them! :)

Stokely wasn't too sure about the water...this was his first time swimming so I'm sure that big expanse of moving water was a bit intimidating for him! He caught on pretty quick though and was soon retrieving a stick like a pro.

Once while everyone else was out swimming and I was sitting on the beach I decided to talk to the baby about what was going on. It rewarded me for my story my moving around happily. I can't wait to take this little one to the beach and actually show him/her the water and the sand and puppies! :)

After the beach we hit the Frosty Oasis for ice cream and then headed back to our place for a cookout. It was a fun-filled day! And thankfully I didn't feel uncomfortably pregnant today so I really enjoyed myself.

Everyone headed home about an hour or so ago. Gideon is out cold on the floor beside me and I'm feeling like I could fall asleep pretty early tonight myself. I have that nice, sunbaked, summer sleepy feeling...sigh. (And a very red chest...oops...forgot the sunblock in a couple places!)

Thank you, God, for summer and beaches and friends and dogs. What great stuff you made! :)

(Check out some pictures of our adventures below!)

No comments: